Steal Like an Artist
by Austin Kleon
Austin Kleon’s Steal Like an Artist is a practical guide to creativity that encourages readers to embrace the idea of borrowing and transforming existing ideas into new and original work. Kleon argues that creativity is not about having unique ideas, but about taking existing ideas and making them your own.
In Steal Like an Artist, Kleon presents ten principles for creative people to follow:
1. Steal Like an Artist: Don’t be afraid to borrow from others’ work. Take ideas, transform them, and make them your own.
2. Don’t Wait Until You Know Who You Are: Start creating now, and your identity as an artist will emerge as you work.
3. Write the Book You Want to Read: Create work that you would be interested in consuming yourself.
4. Use Your Hands: Don’t just think about your work; make it with your hands.
5. Side Projects and Hobbies Are Important: Don’t neglect your personal projects and hobbies. They can be a source of creativity and inspiration.
6. The Secret: Do Good Work and Share It with People: The best way to get your work noticed is to do good work and share it with as many people as possible.
7. Geography Is No Longer Our Master: The internet has made it easier than ever to connect with people and share your work. Use this to your advantage.
8. Be Nice (The World Needs More Nice People): Be kind to yourself and others. Be supportive of other artists.
9. Be Boring (It’s the Only Way to Get Work Done): Create a consistent routine and stick to it. This will help you get more work done.
10. Creativity Is Subtraction: Don’t try to add more to your work; try to take away. Simplicity is often better.
* Creativity is not about having unique ideas, it’s about taking existing ideas and making them your own.
* Don’t wait until you know who you are to start creating. Start now and your identity as an artist will emerge as you work.
* Do good work and share it with people. This is the best way to get your work noticed.
* Be kind to yourself and others. Be supportive of other artists.
* Create a consistent routine and stick to it. This will help you get more work done.
Where to Read Online
* [Project Gutenberg](https://www.gutenberg.org/files/28147/28147-h/28147-h.htm)
* [Internet Archive](https://archive.org/details/steallikeartist00kleo)
* [Google Books](https://books.google.com/books?id=ebQhDwAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=steal+like+an+artist&hl=en)
* What is the main idea of Steal Like an Artist?
The main idea of Steal Like an Artist is that creativity is not about having unique ideas, but about taking existing ideas and making them your own.
* Who should read Steal Like an Artist?
Steal Like an Artist is a great book for anyone who is interested in creativity, whether they are artists, writers, musicians, or anything else.
* Is Steal Like an Artist worth reading?
Yes, Steal Like an Artist is a valuable book that can help readers become more creative and productive.